This blog has been set up to share with others my and their journey in the use of video and other forms of visual media imagery as a form of formative feedback during teaching practice experiences of student teachers.

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

My first thoughts on joining the DIL project

It has been 2 weeks since I joined the Digital Information Literacy (DIL) project, a small action research project. The overall aim of the project is to develop participants’ knowledge and understanding of and skills in digital information literacy while being supported by others involved in the same project. The ultimate aim, as I understand it, is to strengthen the implementation of DIL within educational contexts.
My interest in educational technology began a number of years ago when I did a course that focused on Literary development through the possibilities provided by multimedia such as interactive storybooks, ebooks and HyperStudio. What I enjoyed when engaged in this course was the group cooperation and support which enabled you to begin your work with the technology at your own level of experience, as well as enable you to access what was for many of us new knowledge and a new teaching and learning approach. Another aspect I liked about the use of technology was the immediate visual feedback you got whenever you attempted a new skill. As I am a visual learner, visual imagery is important to me. It is therefore maybe not surprising that the enhancement of skills through visual feedback and interactive learning form the foundation of what I hope to work on as part of the DIL project.
My main objective is to explore the effectiveness of the digital camera in supporting students’ reflection on their practice. As a visiting lecturer my role is to assess students on their work with children in early childhood education settings. I have had a number of dyadic discussions with students after observing their practice, where the student shared with me their frustration that they could not visualise their own practice. This voiced concern has contributed to my decision to use video recording as a way of:
· Making students’ teaching practice more visible by using either an Eee PC or a digital photo frame. Data on these have been gathered but the best options still need to be explored in practice.
· Providing immediate feedback .
· Recording and monitoring progress over a period of time, thus providing opportunities for individual review of practice e.g. through an e-portfolio, saving on disc or USB
· Making learning more relevant for the student as they can interpret their own observed practise i.e. seeing their practice through their lens rather than through that of the visiting lecturer.
· Enhancing professional dialogue between student and visiting lecturer e.g. visual images enables the connection-making between ideas/concepts and actions; between ‘problems’ and skills.
· Giving greater flexibility e.g. Students could video record their own practice and develop an e-portfolio for sharing with the visiting lecturer. Another option that may be considered in the future is for the students to share their e-portfolio with other students. Issues that may need to be considered of course are those of privacy and ethics i.e. how to limit access to personal data.

By being involved with the DIL project, I also aim to enhance my own digital knowledge, understanding and skills. For instance, maintaining a blog is a new venture for me, and the idea that others are able to read about my journey into this new endeavour and comment on it, feels at this stage rather curious.

1 comment:

Lin said...

I enjoyed reading your blog. The project is exciting. At last the technology is making this possible.
Initially there is a place for reflective dialogue between lecturer and student using video and still photsos. As you say it would be wonderful to move this on so that students are responsible for their own videoing and analysis. More and more students have access to digital cameras with movie capability.